Genetics and Your Protein Needs
Research has shown that genetics play a role in your protein metabolism. If you were recommended a high protein diet, it is because you have a genotype that has been associated with improved weight loss and insulin resistance when consuming a higher protein intake.
Whether your body needs increased protein or not, it is still a vital nutrient. Proteins are made up of amino acids. These amino acids are crucial for several functions in the body including regulating biochemical reactions, maintaining blood pH, and providing structure and strength to cells and tissue.
Food sources of protein
Animal Meats are likely the first thing that comes to mind when we think about proteins. They are the most dense source, but they are not the only source.
Other Animal Products, such as cheese, yogurt, milk, and eggs, are also significant sources of protein.
Alternative Proteins, as we discussed earlier this week, can offer a meatless substitute without sacrificing quality. Foods like tofu, nutritional yeast, beans, nuts, seeds, and legumes are plant sources of protein that offer potential health benefits that conventional animal proteins do not.
Variety is key. Nourishing your body with a variety of protein sources gives you a wider range of nutrients.
Baked Crispy Tofu Recipe
- 1 16 oz. block tofu (extra firm)
- 5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ Tbsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp cumin
- Black pepper to taste
- To drain the tofu, lay slices on a stack of paper towels; top with additional paper towels and then place a heavy skillet on top to press out the liquid for about 10 minutes.
- While the tofu is draining, combine the remaining ingredients in a container with a lid. Marinate the tofu for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lay tofu on a greased baking sheet in a single layer. Cover with additional marinade. Bake for 15 minutes, flip over, and bake for another 15 minutes.
This flavorful tofu recipe pairs well with a side of vegetables and grains or added to a salad.